40 DAYS OF PRAYER & FASTING | SEPTEMBER 30 – NOVEMBER 8, 2016
This prayer guide will help to focus our prayers as we begin 40 days of prayer and fasting for America. Use this guide in your prayer times this week.
Jesus is the only answer to our nation’s problems. A Great Awakening is the only answer to a nation that has gone away from its biblical roots. No politician has the answers for our nation, but we must pray for godly leadership in every position of authority. We must cry out for another Jesus Movement to sweep across out nation and people turn to the Lord. The Word says, “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord” (Psalm 33:12).
Personal and corporate repentance
Before we begin in intercession, it’s good to inspect our own hearts and come clean before the Lord. Take time to confess and repent to God of any sins in your life. Then, from a national perspective, repent for rejecting God as a nation, and for the removal of God in our education systems and government.
“Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.” Ps. 51:1-3 (NKJ)
Intercession topic for this week:
Government & the National Election: November 8, 2016
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.” Psalm 33:12 (KJV)
“When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked rule, the people mourn”. Proverbs 29:2(KJV)
“He who rules over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.” 2 Samuel 23:3 (NKJ)
“Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior.” 1 Timothy 2:1-3 (NJKV)
- Pray for the safety of all the presidential candidates, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Gary Johnson and their running mates. Pray that their hearts are open to the Lord Jesus Christ and the truth of the Word. Pray for their families for strength and safety.
- Pray for a pro-life, pro-family, pro-Israel President and Vice President to be elected and for them to promote a culture of life.
- Pray for the abortion issue to be driven as a wedge in this election. There is a vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court that must be filled and possibly 3 more Justices that the next president will appoint. This election will be felt for generations because of the U.S. Supreme Court. Pray over the Court.
- Pray that a strong pro-life, pro-family majority is elected to the U.S. Senate, this is imperative to seeing righteous laws passed.
- Pray for pro-life, pro-family leaders to be elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Pray that throughout Florida and the nation that pro-life, pro-family leaders will be elected at all levels of government. Florida has some very tight races and we must intercede for strong pro-life leaders to win.
- Pray for the Lord to move in the swing states to open hearts to the pro-life, pro-family issues and vote for candidates that stand for life. Swing States: Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Hampshire, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, Iowa, and Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia (the last 2 states aren’t traditional swing states).
- Pray for pastors to preach about why Christians must fast and pray for this election and vote for pro-life, pro-family leaders.
- Pray for truth in the media in covering the elections and fair coverage.
- Pray for Christians to pray for the election, to work to get godly candidates elected and to vote pro-life.
- Pray that Americans will have the ability to see truth, to vote for righteous values and leaders.
- Pray for accuracy in the voting machines across the nation and proper tabulation of votes.
- Pray for the spirit of apathy, especially in the church, to be removed, for the spirit of discernment and a deep desire to stand for truth prevails in our nation and causes high voter turnout for life.
- Pray for protection of all candidates and their families and for those who know the Lord to be strengthened and those who don’t to have a face-to-face encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Pray for the Upcoming Presidential and Vice Presidential Debates:
- Vice presidential debate (October 4, 2016, Longwood University, Farmville, VA). The debate will be divided into nine time segments of approximately 10 minutes each. The moderator will ask an opening question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a deeper discussion of the topic.
- Second presidential debate (October 9, 2016, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO). The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which half of the questions will be posed directly by citizen participants and the other half will be posed by the moderator based on topics of broad public interest as reflected in social media and other sources. The candidates will have two minutes to respond and there will be an additional minute for the moderator to facilitate further discussion. The town meeting participants will be uncommitted voters selected by the Gallup Organization.
- Third presidential debate (October 19, 2016, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV). The format for the debate will be identical to the first presidential debate that was held on September 26, 2016 at Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY. The debate will be divided into six time segments of approximately 15 minutes each on major topics to be selected by the moderator and announced at least one week before the debate. The moderator will open each segment with a question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. Candidates will then have an opportunity to respond to each other. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a deeper discussion of the topic.
Tags: Christian Lifestyle • Elections • Fasting • Governmental Intercession • Prayer